Monday, November 17, 2008

Day at the clinic

Today we spent much of our day at the clinic while all 8 of the families in our group had their children examined and paper work done so that we could bring our children home. Amy was a real trooper. She had more "stations" to go through because she is over 11. First she had a medical where they checked her heart. They told us that she has a heart murmur, which of course we already knew being that that is her "special need". Though they didn't say anything to us we could tell that she didn't do very well on the eye check up either. But this we also suspected since she reads with her books about 4 inches from her face. I hope that she likes glasses!! I told her that glasses are cool in America but I think that she thought I was talking about sunglasses. The question is, do we take her for an eye exam in the near future? I almost want to wait so that she can get a better "feel" for style. I have a feeling at this point she would pick the pinkest glitteriest glasses that she could find!!! (Did I tell you about the silver boots she wanted us to buy her as her one pair of shoes?) Seriously, I am scared!!


After she had her examinations she got the "priveledge" of getting 4 shots and one oral immunization. I know, you are thinking "poor Amy, poor poor Amy". Ok, stop. Do not feel sorry for her because she actually liked the shots. True. She smiled through them and then told someone in her language who then told us that she liked them!!! Isn't that wierd? In this picture she is trying to act sad but in reality was happy happy happy that she got 4 shots. Mike's family likes medicine, needles and blood so I guess that that comes from their side of the family too!!! One of the ladies in our group gave us some candy ahead of time to give her to cheer her up. She insisted that Josh eat half of it (the girls were out shopping). She can be so sweet.


This is one of those exercise parks. The equipment appears to be in better condition but it is not nearly as "cool" as the stuff in Zhengzhou. This thing in the middle is like an exercise bike without pedals. What would you do with that? I have no clue.
I forgot to mention our dinner last night. I wish that I had remembered our camera. There is a famous place here called the Cow and Bridge. We have only heard good things about it. Everyone LIED to us!!! It is Thai food. Wow, is that place.. um.. different. The menu was like spicy intestines and other equally grotesque things. One of the guys in our group ordered chicken and the head was still on it!!! We passed it around and those lucky enough to have their cameras took pictures with it. Oh I wish I had had my camera!!! Cassie and Josh ordered chocolate icecream for dinner. We have never let them do that before but the food was expensive and we didn't think that they would eat it anyways. Well, you would think that icecream would be a safe choice but it was one small scoop in a dish on kidney beans!!!! Eeeew. From what I heard a few of our group were sick and one even went to the hospital by ambulance. Ok, now I am getting off topic but I want to tell you about the cost of medical care here. She went by ambulance, had an EKG and xrays. The total cost was equal to $50.00 american money!!! My co-pay is $35-45!!!
Amy is happily sleeping with Barbie in her (Barbie's) new pink chinese dress. Amy spent much time today with a sewing kit and hair ribbons making Barbie's other outfit "beautiful".
One more thing before I go to bed - anyone who is not a weakling should check out this site. It is older children "interviewing for their lives". See it at www.cwa.org/1hope/01.htm (hope I got that right). The girl on 08-10-4 got me bawling like a baby and I am not even able to listen to the interviews because I don't want Amy to hear them. Nighty night.













4 comments:

Kelley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelley said...

I had to delete what I wrote because it didn't come out right, so let's try again...
God is so good. He always know's what is best for us. It is so amazing how He worked everything out to bring Amy to your family. She absolutely belongs there. And I think you are right, she does seem to take after Mike so far. Out of all of the children needing families, He knew she belonged with you guys. So cool.
I'm really glad I wasn't at dinner with you guys. That sounds really gross. I would have been out the door in a hearbeat. I couldn't have even sat there. Eewww! I'm such a wimp when it comes to unappealing food.
BTW - California is still burning. Was so smokey yesterday I didn't even leave the house. Many homes and mobile homes have been destroyed. The Sylmar fire has moved into Placerita Canyon now.
I better get back to work.
Much love - K

Haley said...

What a journey you are having. I am so happy for you - I can not stand it. Your stories are wonderful! Everything is good here. The babies are growing and are kicking away. Jess and Nicole are adopting a baby boy here in the US. I will tell you more when you come home. Tell Amy and the rest of the kids Jim and I say hello! Miss you bunches.

Kathleen said...

Your story reminds me when Kalie went to Thailand when she was 15. She had the same experience with chicken only she made the comment "it had his eyes open". Erin and I love to read your blog what a journey. tell Megan that today (tuesday) it will be 80 degrees. Have a safe trip back home.
Sincerely,
Kathy