Sunday, November 16, 2008


At the White Swan Hotel, where we are staying, it is famous for being a five star hotel that caters to the newly adopted families. It is beautiful and big. I will try to get pictures tomorrow. However, we do lack modern internet commodities which is making life a little adventurous here, at least as far as the blogging thing goes, thus the lack of blogging.

Today we visited a Budhist temple. It really was very interesting. People were buying incense and presenting it to the statues. These people were totally serious. People carrying mats so that they could bow down to it (it or him?) Also we had the opportunity to have our children blessed by a Buddhist monk. We chose not to do that but many of the families in our group did have their child blessed. Amy wanted to bow to the statues, hmmm. She is sure in for some serious change. I am not sure whether she understood what was going on while this ceremony went on but we just moved outside and played with the water in the small waterfall. I want you all to notice the pyramid of bottled water at the feet of Buddha!!! Isn't that a crack up? Even Buddha can't drink the water here!! Poor Buddha, I didn't realize that he was suseptable to stomache ailments like us Americans!! (notice I said "stomache ailments"? I changed it from diarrhea so as to sound like a proper genteel lady, did it work?)

I have been so proud of Nikki here. She has really been diligent about befriending and being a good sister to Amy. Amy is doing well. I have heard that when the older children are adopted that they are immature and often regress to about 2 or 3 years of age. I have never understood what that meant. Thumb sucking? Temper tantrantrums? I am beginning to get a picture of it but it is not as severe as all that. If we ask her to do something she doesn't want to do she simply tells us "no". She wants to touch everything (I mean EVERYTHING). She wants to always have her own way and be in charge. She and Josh race to beat eachother to things like the elevator buttons and unlocking the hotel room door. You have to laugh as they are both dead serious about winning! The competition is fierce but with no hard feelings yet. I thought that this would come in time but the time has already arrived. I am glad to be able to get it out of the way now though. Fortunately, it doesn't take much to correct her. She seems to be a people pleaser by nature. She will say, "are you made (mad) at me?" when we do correct her. How can you be mad at that? She has been exposed to so little that I suppose she is over stimulated to begin with.

It is the tradition at the White Swan to present the adopted child with an Adopting Barbie. It is Barbie with a chinese baby. It is pretty cute. When we got back to our room today it was on the desk waiting for her. She was soooooo excited to have a Barbie that she was giddy. We weren't able to spend a lot of time with Barbie because we had to go. Now, most people keep Barbie boxed up as a keepsake but we let the girls bring Amy back to the room while we picked up the laundry and when we got back not only had Barbie been opened but she had had a shampoo and brushing!!! What can I say? I don't think that there was any way we would have been able to keep her out of that box anyways!!! When we went to leave the next time, Amy put Barbie in the box and put her in her bed and pulled the covers up so she (Barbie) could sleep while we were gone. It was very very sweet. That is what this picture is. Amy, now, as I am typing this is asleep with her Barbie. I guess that this does beat Barbie in a box!!
Tomorrow Amy goes for her medical and immunizations. I hear that she is supposed to get 5 of them. I have no idea if she knows or not. Do you think it is better to warn kids? I have never been sure. I tend to warn them as we are walking into the actual room where the doctor will do it. Why give them a chance to worry about it? I don't think I'd want to know.
Today was Mike's birthday. We brought birthday streamers which the girls and J0sh decorated the room with when Mike and I "stepped out" for a few moments. They were very creative, sticking them to the lampshades and walls with candy!!! NOT my idea. Would anyone like to hire them to decorate in your home? They would do it cheap?!! They also blew up balloons. Our guide Joselyn found out and when we got back to our room there was a table that had been rolled in with a Happy Birthday cake and candles. The people here are great.
It is time for bed and I just want to say that I am feeling pretty blessed today. I have 5 wonderful, normal kids that I wouldn't trade for a gajillion dollars. Sleep tight.


3 comments:

Kim Swanberg said...

Well it is 0745 here and we just thought that we would wish Mike a Very Happy Birthday and we will celebrate when you all return home - we had snow this week and I tried to send you a picture, but it didn't send. Sorry. Also, Scott wants to adopt Casey - he cries when we leave from playing with her. It's so sad. We love the pictures - keep them coming.
Love ya.

Anonymous said...

Well Dani beat me here again today. We both have been so excited to see the next blog. It sounds like you all are having a wonderful time. Happy birthday Mike. I agree that you shouldn't tell kids they will get shots. I hate needles and it stresses me out and I am 35. Anyway I leave in 2 days for Georgia. I will be there a week, then I am off to the Middle East. Most likly Afganistan. I didn't realize it but it borders China to the East. I really should look at Google Earth more often. I could walk and get J.T. from there (lol). I will pray that you all have a safe trip home. I was thinking the other day....Will Amy know what dairy farms in Greeley smell like and what will she think when she takes her first breath of it? Just a thought.
Thinking of you all and keeping you in our prayers.
Michael and Dani

Kim said...

We miss you all so much! Come home! (When do you come home again?) While I was checking your blog this morning, Ian was on my lap. He saw a picture of Nikki and was very excited. Glad things are going well! Happy Birthday Mike!

Love, Kim, Fritz and the boys